Cookies on Dublin People website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Dublin People website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.
Hide Message
  • Southside

Calls for new 'Metro West’ project as transport plan is cut

Tuesday, 2nd April, 2019 1:00pm
Calls for new 'Metro West’ project as transport plan is cut

Peter Walsh, Director of Capital Programmes; Michael Nolan, CEO, TII; Anne Graham, CEO, NTA and Aidan Foley, Project Director, TII are pictured as the National Transport Authority (NTA) and Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII) announce details of the Preferred Route for Metrolink.

Calls for new 'Metro West’ project as transport plan is cut

Peter Walsh, Director of Capital Programmes; Michael Nolan, CEO, TII; Anne Graham, CEO, NTA and Aidan Foley, Project Director, TII are pictured as the National Transport Authority (NTA) and Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII) announce details of the Preferred Route for Metrolink.

THERE have been calls for a new ‘Metro West’ project to be considered after much of the Southside route of the proposed Metrolink project in Dublin was scrapped.

Initial proposals for the mostly underground train project included running the route out to Sandyford from the airport, and this would have involved the Metrolink going underground as far as Charlemont.

However, the National Transport Authority and Transport Infrastructure Ireland published new plans last week for the preferred route which will now see the route come to a stop at charlemont near the south inner city.

However, a proposal to acquire the College Gate apartment block and Markievicz Leisure Centre for the Tara Street stop will still go ahead.

Now Sinn Féin representatives for Dublin Mid-West, Dublin West and Dublin South West have called for the Government to consider bringing forward the Metro West plan now that the Southside part of Metrolink is not going ahead.

Deputy Eoin Ó Broin for Dublin Mid-West said: “In 2007 the then Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey announced the route for the new Metro West line linking Tallaght, Clondalkin and Blanchardstown to Dublin airport.

 “The planned was shelved by then Minister for Transport Leo Varadkar in 2011 due to budgetary issues.

 “A plan for Metro West is not included in the current Dublin Transport strategy and its likely it will not be revisited until after 2035.

 “Given the very significant level of current and future residential development in the west of the city including the Clonburris Strategic Development zone this decision should now be reviewed.”

Deputy Sean Crowe from Dublin South West, added: “We need joined up thinking and infrastructure for the rollout of a transport plan for Dublin. All options for transport for the city should now be out back on the table. If the funding was available for Metro South, I see no reason why the Metro West project cannot be revisited and reactivated.

“We have written to the Minister for Transport asking him if plans for Metro West will now be put back on the table.”

There were mixed reactions on the Southdale to the scrapped plans.

Sinn Féin councillor for Sandyford Glencullen, Chris Curran, welcomed news that plans for the Metrolink rail line in Dublin are to see major changes in order to avoid major disruption to the Luas Green line for up to four years.

Cllr Curran said: "This implementation of the existing plan would spell disaster for commuters and businesses right along the southern Green Line.

"The project requires a complete rethink. We need to stop relying on radial mobility where commuters need to travel to the city centre in order to reach other suburbs.

"While I accept the dire need for a rail link to the airport, to rip up a hugely successfully piece of transport infrastructure is crazy and wasteful.

“During rush hour, Luas carries the equivalent of 80 buses,” he added.

“To force that amount traffic into already congested areas like Renelagh and Donnybrook is deeply unfair on residents in those areas. As a result, commuters could take to their cars and exacerbate the problem.

Meanwhile, John Dean, from the Save Markievicz Pool and Gym campaign, said they were extremely disappointed that Metrolink are continuing to insist on the demolition of the Markievicz Leisure Centre and College Gate apartments.

Read the digital editions of the Dublin People Northside East, Northside West & Southside here