Cookies on Dublin People website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Dublin People website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.
Hide Message
  • Southside

Compensation offered as new bus routes unveiled

Wednesday, 30th January, 2019 8:00am

Story by Neil Fetherstonhaugh
Compensation offered as new bus routes unveiled

Some of the new bus routes proposed under the BusConnects Core Bus Corridor project that were unveiled by the NTA last week will run into the city centre on several Southside routes.

Compensation offered as new bus routes unveiled

Some of the new bus routes proposed under the BusConnects Core Bus Corridor project that were unveiled by the NTA last week will run into the city centre on several Southside routes.

THE National Transport Authority (NTA) has informed Southside homeowners living along six new proposed bus routes that they will offer compensation for the loss of garden space and portions of driveways.

Last week the NTA unveiled the second phase of the ambitious BusConnects Core Bus Corridor project that aims to transform Dublin’s bus system.

It will achieve this through the provision of 230kms of dedicated bus lanes and 200km of cycle lanes on 16 of the busiest bus corridors in and out of the city centre.

The first phase of the public consultation period regarding the overhaul of the city’s bus service commenced in November 2018 and is ongoing.

The public consultation for phase two launched last week concerns six proposed corridors that run across the Southside.

They include Liffey Valley to the city centre, Clondalkin to Drimnagh, Greenhills to the city centre, Tallaght to Terenure, Kimmage to the city centre and Rathfarnham to the city centre.

The NTA said that all property owners potentially affected by last week’s announcement have been notified by post with one-to-one meetings offered in the coming weeks.

Anne Graham, CEO of the NTA, said: “Today marks the second stage in a three-step process with details being unveiled of six additional Emerging Preferred Routes under the BusConnects Core Bus Corridor project.

“In recent days, we have notified the 665 property owners along these routes who may be potentially affected.”

“We have also offered one-to-one meetings to inform them of the proposals and listen to their feedback.

“We would encourage those who received the notification to get in contact with us and engage in the consultation process that runs until March 29. We want to hear from them to get their views on the proposals and the issues that they wish to see addressed.”

Ms Graham added:

“At the NTA, we are determined to deepen our engagement with the communities along each of the identified corridors. That is why in addition to meeting with potentially affected property owners we will also be organising public information events and Community Forums along each of the six corridors announced today. 

“The Community Forums, in particular, will ensure a two-way dialogue with community leaders, residents’ associations, special interest groups and public representatives.

“We are eager to listen to the concerns of all those affected, and we will ensure they are kept updated on the project as it progresses.”

Ms Graham explained that although they were “aware that a project of this scale will bring many challenges”, the BusConnects Core Bus Corridor project was needed now more than ever.

“With the city due to expand by 25 per cent by 2040, continuous bus priority and segregated cycle lanes will be required to meet the growing demand for fast, reliable, punctual and convenient bus journeys in and out of the city centre, and safe cycling facilities for the growing numbers of cyclists,” she said.

Ms Graham said that as regards the affects on homeowners, the NTA will ensure new landscaping and replanting of gardens and the reinstatement of driveways as well as providing compensation for the garden and driveway portion loss and disruption where lands are being acquired.

They added that where private and public walls or fencing are removed, they will rebuild and replace them and where there is a loss of on-street parking and loading facilities, they will seek to provide, where feasible, alternative arrangements close by.

“Where trees are removed, we will put in place a comprehensive replanting programme replacing more trees than removed,” the NTA added. “The programme will largely use mature or semi-mature ready-grown trees, and where it is feasible, plant them as  close as possible to the original locations.”

The NTA said that all property owners potentially affected by last week’s announcement had already been notified by post and one-to-one meetings were being offered. 

“Today marks the beginning of a dialogue with those potentially impacted which will continue during 2019 and throughout the project,” they added.

Read the digital editions of the Dublin People Northside East, Northside West & Southside here