Cookies on Dublin People website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Dublin People website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.
How does Dublin People use cookies?
Cookies enable us to identify your device, or you when you have logged in. We use cookies that are strictly necessary to enable you to move around the site or to provide certain basic features. We use cookies to enhance the functionality of the website by storing your preferences, for example. We also use cookies to help us to improve the performance of our website to provide you with a better user experience.
We donít sell the information collected by cookies, nor do we disclose the information to third parties, except where required by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies).
Hide Message
  • Southside

County council launches road safety campaign

Saturday, 20th January, 2018 10:00am
County council launches road safety campaign

RoadSafety.jpg

County council launches road safety campaign

RoadSafety.jpg

SOUTH Dublin County Council has launched a new campaign in a bid to improve safety on the roads in the New Year.

The council has joined forces with emergency services in Dublin and the Road Safety Authority to promote the new road safety campaign called ‘Because’.

The campaign outlines the possibilities of how a collision is caused and the consequences and injuries if a person does not follow the safe rules of using the road.

The campaign is aimed at all road users and focuses on four factors of road safety; safe speeds, being sober, belted and visible.

Road Safety Officer Declan Keogh said: “The onus is always on an individual to ensure their own safety.

“But we still have to remind them of the risks and dangers and outline to them the consequences of their actions, whether its drink driving, speeding, travelling in a car unbelted or not being visible on the road.

“We are asking all road users to make this time of year a time for them to improve their driving behaviour, cut their bad driving habits and become safer, because if they do, the roads will be much safer for everyone.’

John Keogh, Third Officer with Dublin Fire Brigade, added: “Firefighters respond to collisions every day and our paramedics and advanced paramedics are trained to deal with multiple trauma, between outer body injuries, head injuries and internal injuries.

“We are faced with multiple trauma following collisions, and sometimes, the hidden injuries are the more dangerous type.”

The National Ambulance Service in Tallaght will focus on seatbelt wearing as part of the campaign.

Advanced Paramedic Supervisor Eoghan Connolly said the injuries suffered by a person not wearing a seatbelt are horrific.

“We see this all too often, and many injuries could be avoided if a person was wearing a seatbelt,” he said.

“When you get into a vehicle, the first thing you should always do is to put on your seatbelt, because if you don’t and you’re in a crash, you could be seriously injured or killed.”

A total of 158 people were killed on the Republic’s roads last year, a fall of 15 per cent on 2016 and the lowest annual death toll since records began in 1959.

According to figures from the gardai, the 158 lives were lost in 143 separate crashes. This compares to 186 lives lost in 174 fatal crashes in 2016. The previous record low was set in 2015 when 162 people were killed.

The reduction was welcomed by Minister Shane Ross but he warned against complacency.

Read the digital editions of the Dublin People Northside East, Northside West & Southside here