Cookies on Dublin People website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Dublin People website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.
How does Dublin People use cookies?
Cookies enable us to identify your device, or you when you have logged in. We use cookies that are strictly necessary to enable you to move around the site or to provide certain basic features. We use cookies to enhance the functionality of the website by storing your preferences, for example. We also use cookies to help us to improve the performance of our website to provide you with a better user experience.
We dont sell the information collected by cookies, nor do we disclose the information to third parties, except where required by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies).
Hide Message
  • Southside

Big shake up for bus services

Tuesday, 15th August, 2017 8:00am
Big shake up for bus services

Buses.jpg

Big shake up for bus services

Buses.jpg

THE announcement last week of what has been described as “arguably the biggest shake up in services since Dublin Bus was established over 30 years ago” has been broadly welcomed on the Southside.

Bus and rail operator ‘Go-Ahead’ was declared to be the winner of a tendering competition to operate 10 per cent of Public Service Obligation bus services in the city that are currently operated by Dublin Bus.

Fine Gael Senator in Dublin Rathdown, Neale Richmond, welcomed what he termed progress in opening up the Dublin Bus market to competition.

 “The introduction of competition into the Dublin Bus market is great news for commuters and long overdue,” he said.

“Commuters in my own constituency are set to benefit with the 17, 63 and 75, 76, 161 and the new route 175, included in this announcement. These routes provide vital services to UCD, Dundrum, Churchtown, Kilternan, Tibradden, Stillorgan and beyond.

“This tendering competition is just the first of three led by the NTA and which will ultimately result in approximately 10 per cent of the current PSO services operated by Dublin Bus and Bus Éireann being operated by operators chosen on the basis of a competitive tender.”

Fine Gael TD for Dublin South West, Colm Brophy, said the move was Fine Gael delivering on its commitment to provide more choice and competition for bus passengers.

“Fine Gael campaigned on a policy of increased choice and competition for bus passengers in the last election,” Deputy Brophy said.

“We committed to this and we are now delivering on this commitment in Government.”

Go-Ahead is a UK rail and bus operator primarily known for its operations in London.

The company provides around 24 per cent of all the British capital’s bus services on behalf of Transport for London.

Dublin South West Minister, Katherine Zappone, said that an extensive information campaign would be needed to assure bus passengers on these routes that the switch to a new operator will not lead to increased fares or reduced services.

The Independent Minister is welcoming guarantees that free travel passes will be honoured by the new ‘Go-Ahead’ services and that fares cannot be increased without the go-ahead of the regulator.

However, Minister Zappone said an information campaign was needed to ensure loyal passengers, in particular older people and young families, that they will not be out of pocket as a result of the switch away from Dublin Bus.

“Our communities in Dublin South West will see some of the biggest changes as local bus routes switch from Dublin Bus to Go-Ahead,” the minister said.

“It is arguably the biggest shake up in services since Dublin Bus was established over 30 years ago.

“Dublin Bus and its crews are the lifeblood of our communities – and will continue to be on many other routes serving Tallaght.

“I have been assured by Transport Minister Shane Ross and the National Transport Authority that passengers should not be out of pocket or see reduced services because of the move.

“Free travel passes will continue to be honoured on the 76, 76a, 175 and 75 routes after Go-Ahead starts operating.

“In addition, there can be no increase in fares without permission of the Transport Authority – this is in line with current arrangements on Dublin Bus and Luas.

“Passengers must be assured of these guarantees before Go-Ahead buses start to roll next year.”


Read the digital editions of the Dublin People Northside East, Northside West & Southside here