Cookies on Dublin People website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Dublin People website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.
How does Dublin People use cookies?
Cookies enable us to identify your device, or you when you have logged in. We use cookies that are strictly necessary to enable you to move around the site or to provide certain basic features. We use cookies to enhance the functionality of the website by storing your preferences, for example. We also use cookies to help us to improve the performance of our website to provide you with a better user experience.
We donít sell the information collected by cookies, nor do we disclose the information to third parties, except where required by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies).
Hide Message
  • Southside

Homeless men served with eviction notice

Wednesday, 22nd March, 2017 8:00am

Story by Neil Fetherstonhaugh
Homeless men served with eviction notice
Homeless men served with eviction noticeView More Images

A GROUP of homeless men who had been living beside the Luas line near Milltown have been forced to move to another location after being served with an eviction notice by Dún Laoghaire Rathdown County Council.

The eight, who had all been living in tents in the public open space adjacent to Patrick Doyle Road, have all left their encampment in recent weeks.

Last week, only four of the remaining eight remained and after being served with the notice by council representatives, two of the men were preparing to move further along the line last Wednesday.

One of the men, Wayne Peer, said they had decided to move after they were served with the eviction notice.

“They came down here and basically told us we’d have to move on,” Wayne said. “They gave us these letters and now two of the lads have already left.

“Me and one other fella have decided to move up along the line to another spot we found and that’s where we’ll stay for the time being.”

Wayne, whose story was highlighted in Southside People in January of this year (right), explained that he did not want to move into a homeless shelter as he felt they were too dangerous.

“I’ve been in them before and they don’t suit me,” he explained. “I don’t drink or take drugs but these places are rife with them.

“In one place, I was robbed and in one of the other places I was attacked.

“I don’t want to go in them so I’ve chosen to stay in the tent for the time being.”

Wayne and his companions had been living at the site in Milltown since late last year.

They were served with an eviction notice by Dún Laoghaire Rathdown County Council that stated: “We wish to inform you that you are currently trespassing on the public lands, which are in the ownership the council. Your continued occupation and use of the open space for the purposes of maintaining an encampment is unauthorised and unlawful.”

The letter adds that in recent months the council and its agents had engaged in “repeated efforts to make contact with the occupants of the open space with a view to helping them relocate to more appropriate accommodation.”

Wayne said they had already spoken to homeless agencies who had not been able to help them.

A spokesperson for Dún Laoghaire Rathdown County Council reiterated the need for the occupants to engage with the homeless agencies. as soon as possible.

 

Wayne Peer prepares to move from his makeshift tent at the site in Milltown. PHOTO: DARREN KINSELLA

Read the digital editions of the Dublin People Northside East, Northside West & Southside here