Cookies on Dublin People website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Dublin People website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.
Hide Message
  • Northside West

Halloween warning from Dublin Fire Brigade

Tuesday, 29th October, 2019 8:00am
Halloween warning from Dublin  Fire Brigade

Minister Charlie Flanagan with (left) Chief Fire Officer of DFB, Denis Keeley and Chief Superintendent Patrick McMenamin. Photo: MAXWELLPHOTOGRAPHY.IE

Halloween warning from Dublin  Fire Brigade

Minister Charlie Flanagan with (left) Chief Fire Officer of DFB, Denis Keeley and Chief Superintendent Patrick McMenamin. Photo: MAXWELLPHOTOGRAPHY.IE

DUBLIN Fire Brigade (DFB) is urging Northsiders to stay safe and be aware of the dangers of fireworks and bonfires this Halloween.

Last year DFB received over 900 calls on Halloween night and a fleet of 21 fire engines and 137 firefighters were deployed to deal with incidents.

Over 300 ambulance calls were received, the majority of which were due to Halloween-related injuries.

This year An Garda Síochána has put in place measures to prevent the sale and organised importation of fireworks in the lead-up to Halloween.

Operation Tombola, which is also designed to prevent or address public disorder and anti-social behaviour, resulted in the seizure of fireworks worth €2,300 in Co Kilkenny last week.

However, fireworks are still being sold and imported illegally and firefighters are urging parents not to buy any for their children this Halloween.

Instead, families are being encouraged to attend fun family events organised by the council in areas including the north inner city, Finglas and Ballymun.

Dublin Lord Mayor Paul McAuliffe helped launch the Dublin Fire Brigade (DFB) Halloween Safety Campaign. 

“Dublin City Council arranges a programme of family friendly events at Halloween and I encourage parents to bring their children to these events where they can experience all the excitement of Halloween in a safe environment,” he said.

“I want to appeal to people to be responsible and not throw out old furniture for use in bonfires. The damage to green spaces and parks each year, because of bonfires, is long lasting.”

Minister for Justice and Equality, Charlie Flanagan, also warned that it is an offence to light illegal fireworks or throw a lit firework at any person or property.

“Most of us enjoy firework displays and we associate them with very special occasions,” he said.

“However, it is really important that anyone who intends to illegally purchase fireworks to mark Halloween knows that these devices can be extremely dangerous and cause very serious injuries.

“I want young people and their parents in particular to be aware of the risks – fireworks may be beautiful to watch but can be devastating if handled incorrectly.”

Dublin City Council is removing stockpiled bonfire materials. Locals can report stockpiling by calling 01-2222222 or 1800-293949 (evenings and weekends) or online at www.dublincity247.ie.

Read the digital editions of the Dublin People Northside East, Northside West & Southside here