Cookies on Dublin People website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Dublin People website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.
Hide Message
  • Northside West

Ballymun housing ceremony is described as ‘shameless’

Wednesday, 15th August, 2018 8:00am
Ballymun housing ceremony is described as ‘shameless’

Hugh Brennan of O Cualann Cohousing Alliance, Minister of State for Housing Damien English and Lord Mayor Niall Ring pictured at Baile na Laochra. PHOTO: COLM MAHADY / FENNELLS

Ballymun housing ceremony is described as ‘shameless’

Hugh Brennan of O Cualann Cohousing Alliance, Minister of State for Housing Damien English and Lord Mayor Niall Ring pictured at Baile na Laochra. PHOTO: COLM MAHADY / FENNELLS

A LOCAL general election candidate has described the official ceremony marking the completion of 11 affordable homes in Ballymun as “shameless promotion”.

Cllr Paul McAuliffe (FF) was speaking about the event earlier this month when Lord Mayor of Dublin, Nial Ring, and Minister of State for Housing, Damien English handed over the keys for the homes at Baile na Laochra to their new owners.

There are now 28 homes occupied in the housing development, designed by the Ó Cualann Cohousing Alliance, and the scheme has received widespread praise for its imaginative approach to providing affordable homes.

An additional 21 homes will be handed over before the end of 2018. Ó Cualann will also commence building an additional 39 homes, 28 houses and 11 apartments, in Ballymun in the near future with the support of Dublin City Council.

However, Cllr McAuliffe says that while new homes are to be welcomed the official celebrations for 11 new homes masks the Government’s “abysmal record” of delivering affording housing in Ballymun. 

He pointed out that Dublin City Council passed a local area plan for Ballymun last year that earmarked land for up to 2,000 new affordable homes in schemes similar to the Ó Cualann model.

“Over 12 months have passed since the Ballymun Local Area Plan zoned and identified planning objectives for close to 30 different sites, but because of the Government’s inaction none of the sites have been disposed of,” he said.

“The Oscar Traynor project to develop mixed housing remains bogged down yet Minister Damien English was willing to stand in Ballymun for the photo-ops to deliver just 11 homes.

“Despite repeated calls from my party colleagues and I, the Government has failed to adopt plans to establish the much needed Affordable Housing Scheme.

“The Minister came out here to cut a ribbon and have his photo taken while the delay in introducing the scheme is blocking countless Dublin families from ever owning their own home.

“Delivering a handful of affordable homes among a population of over 20,000 people is nothing to laud.”

Speaking at the handover of keys earlier this month, Hugh Brennan, CEO of Ó Cualann Cohousing Alliance, said the lack of affordable homes in Dublin was at epidemic level.

Read the digital editions of the Dublin People Northside East, Northside West & Southside here