Cookies on Dublin People website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Dublin People website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.
How does Dublin People use cookies?
Cookies enable us to identify your device, or you when you have logged in. We use cookies that are strictly necessary to enable you to move around the site or to provide certain basic features. We use cookies to enhance the functionality of the website by storing your preferences, for example. We also use cookies to help us to improve the performance of our website to provide you with a better user experience.
We dont sell the information collected by cookies, nor do we disclose the information to third parties, except where required by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies).
Hide Message
  • Northside West

Planning board is urged to reject cemetery plan

Friday, 2nd February, 2018 8:00am
Planning board is urged to reject cemetery plan

A concept of the chapel proposed for St Paul’s.

Planning board is urged to reject cemetery plan

A concept of the chapel proposed for St Paul’s.

AN BORD Pleanála is being urged to reject a planning application to build a crematorium chapel and a car park at St Paul’s Cemetery in Glasnevin.

The application by Glasnevin Trust was granted permission by Dublin City Council in November but is being appealed to the planning board.

The highly sensitive site is the burial ground for an estimated almost 4,000 bodies, mostly children and babies, some of whom were just a day old when they died.

Glasnevin Trust wanted to build a 1916 Citizens’ Chapel to serve as a permanent memorial to citizens who lost their lives in the Easter Rising.

The chapel was also to serve as a monument to all of those interred in unmarked or unpurchased graves in Glasnevin Cemetery.

The council rejected a similar proposal for the site last year but the latest plans were given the green light, subject to a number of conditions, including that the development would disturb no grave.

The plan, which had secured Government funding of around €2 million, has sparked anger amongst some locals, and Glasnevin Trust has said that given the opposition to the concept, it will no longer proceed with the idea.

However, those opposed to the plans want An Bord Pleanála to officially reject the application.

In an objection to the plan, local undertaker Alan Harmon of Bourke’s Funeral Directors said the reasons for the initial plan’s rejection still stood.

Former Dublin Central TD and Labour Party Spokesperson on Urban Regeneration, Joe Costello, said the current application didn’t address the issues raised in the previous application.

“The reasons for the last refusal are equally valid for this application,” he said. “It would be completely insensitive and even heartless to build a chapel and car-park over the graves of thousands of Irish citizens who most likely had been badly-treated during their lifetime and would be completely erased in death.”

Local Fianna Fail candidate, Mary Fitzpatrick, also wants An Bord Pleanála to refuse permission.

“Historic details of the burials on these lands indicate that it is the final resting place of workers, paupers, infants and babies, many of whom died in sad circumstances,” she said. “It is now known that these were very ordinary people who did not enjoy much comfort or respect in life, buried in pauper’s graves and they should not be denied dignity in death.

“As a mark of respect for the remains of those already interred in the burial ground for many years, it is crucially important that the Government withhold all funding for these works.”

 

Read the digital editions of the Dublin People Northside East, Northside West & Southside here