Cookies on Dublin People website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Dublin People website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.
How does Dublin People use cookies?
Cookies enable us to identify your device, or you when you have logged in. We use cookies that are strictly necessary to enable you to move around the site or to provide certain basic features. We use cookies to enhance the functionality of the website by storing your preferences, for example. We also use cookies to help us to improve the performance of our website to provide you with a better user experience.
We dont sell the information collected by cookies, nor do we disclose the information to third parties, except where required by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies).
Hide Message
  • Northside West

A lucky escape

Monday, 27th November, 2017 1:00pm
A lucky escape

29 new AAA Car.jpg

A lucky escape

29 new AAA Car.jpg

LAST week’s dramatic rainfall caught motorists off guard with some forced to give up on their work commute and return home.

Heavy rain on Wednesday caused flash flooding and road closures around the country, but Dublin was worst hit with 47.4mm of rain falling in Dublin airport up to 3pm, 8.4mm of that falling between 7am and 8am.

Dublin Fire Brigade was called out to a number of incidents and there were reports of several cars stranded in floodwater in Portmarnock.

There was long delays on roads all around the city as motorists crawled their way through spot flooding.

One motorist had a lucky escape at a flooded junction near Scoil Bhride in Clonee.

Local man Eddie Kavanagh was driving along the road when his lights caught a reflection in the dark.

On closer inspection, he realised it was a Nissan that spun off the road into a ditch.

“I got through the flood which was over 18" high and pulled over to check if anyone was in the car,” he said.

“I couldn't get very close but I had a torch and could see it was empty, thank God.”

Eddie rang the gardaí in Ashbourne and informed them of this accident. It’s understood the owner escaped without injury and planned to return to recover his car later.

Read the digital editions of the Dublin People Northside East, Northside West & Southside here