Cookies on Dublin People website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Dublin People website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.
How does Dublin People use cookies?
Cookies enable us to identify your device, or you when you have logged in. We use cookies that are strictly necessary to enable you to move around the site or to provide certain basic features. We use cookies to enhance the functionality of the website by storing your preferences, for example. We also use cookies to help us to improve the performance of our website to provide you with a better user experience.
We don’t sell the information collected by cookies, nor do we disclose the information to third parties, except where required by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies).
Hide Message
  • Northside West

Northside bomb drama

Monday, 30th October, 2017 1:00pm
Northside bomb drama

Finglas Garda Station was closed for two hours during the drama.

Northside bomb drama

Finglas Garda Station was closed for two hours during the drama.

THERE was drama and tension in Finglas last week when a member of the public brought a suspicious device found on their street into the local Garda station on Mellowes Road.

The incident happened at about 3pm on Tuesday (October 24) and gardaí immediately evacuated the station as a precaution.

The local fitness and leisure centre was also locked down and the road was closed off.

Gardaí also contacted the Defence Forces and the Army Bomb Disposal Team was called in to investigate the device, thought to be a pipe bomb or other Improvised Explosive Device (IED).

The scene at Finglas Garda Station was declared safe by the bomb disposal team two hours later at 5pm.

“A device was recovered and removed by Army for further examination and assessment,” a Garda spokesperson said.

“The cordon and local traffic diversions were lifted and Finglas Garda Station reopened to the public. A Garda investigation into the matter is continuing.”

The Army Bomb Disposal Team arrived on scene at 3.40pm where they conducted an assessment of the device.

“The device was made safe at the scene and has now been removed for further examination and exploitation at a secure military location,” a spokesperson for the Defence Forces said.

Dublin North West TD Noel Rock (FG) said the incident highlighted the “real and present danger” gardaí and the army face every day.

“It’s important that members of the public know that this isn’t the safest way to handle this sort of incident and if you find a device you believe to be explosive that you ring the gardaí in the first instance,” he added.

 

Read the digital editions of the Dublin People Northside East, Northside West & Southside here