Cookies on Dublin People website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Dublin People website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.
How does Dublin People use cookies?
Cookies enable us to identify your device, or you when you have logged in. We use cookies that are strictly necessary to enable you to move around the site or to provide certain basic features. We use cookies to enhance the functionality of the website by storing your preferences, for example. We also use cookies to help us to improve the performance of our website to provide you with a better user experience.
We dont sell the information collected by cookies, nor do we disclose the information to third parties, except where required by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies).
Hide Message
  • Northside West

Ballymun in shock following double murder

Monday, 21st August, 2017 8:00am
Ballymun in shock following double murder

The double murder shocked the local community.

Ballymun in shock following double murder

The double murder shocked the local community.

LAST week's double murder in Ballymun has led to calls for increased high-visibility policing in the area.

The broad daylight shooting, which occurred last Wednesday afternoon at Balbutcher Drive, was described by local TD Noel Rock (FG) as “the worst thing to happen to Ballymun in years”.

A mother of six and a man were shot dead in the brutal attack, with a number of people suffering minor injuries, including a child.

Deputy Rock said his thoughts were with the deceased and the injured.

“I hope the gardaí are successful in their enquiries, assisted by the community where necessary, and that order is restored and justice is done,” he said. “It’s frustrating to see this happening in Ballymun when we all know that the community is much more than this kind of bad news.”

Social Democrats TD for the area, Róisín Shortall, also expressed her horror at the shooting and loss of life. She said she had grave concerns about the impact of the incident on the local community in Ballymun.

“This gun attack has been met with shock by the local community who are terrified that recent tensions within the area will now escalate further and spill over into the communities,” Deputy Shortall stated. “The events are shocking and a huge disappointment to the many community leaders and residents in Ballymun who are building a peaceful community in which families can rear their children in safety, older people can feel secure in their homes and people can go about their ordinary business without fear.”

Deputy Shortall believes the incident is a serious setback to local gardaí who have been doing their best to contain this kind of activity.

“There’s no doubt that the situation has not been helped by a reduced complement of gardaí over recent years,” she added. “It is vitally important now that whatever resources are required are immediately provided in order that the people responsible for this atrocity are brought to justice.

“The incident should act as a wakeup call to the Government that gangland crime in Dublin remains prevalent and wreaks havoc across the city and in many local communities. It is crucial to invest in adequate policing and it is also crucial to invest in and to sustain investment in building safe and strong communities across the city.”

The Minister for Justice and Equality, Charlie Flanagan, described the attack as “outrageous” and “totally unacceptable”.

“I utterly deplore this shooting which has tragically resulted in the loss of two lives as well as others injured,” Minister Flanagan said. “These ruthless people have no regard for human life and this will not be tolerated.

“The gardaí continue to confront this threat daily and are determined to see those involved brought to justice. This callous, cold-blooded violence has no place in our communities. The Government and gardaí stand with the people of Ballymun against such despicable acts and will continue to ensure there is high-visibility policing to combat such attacks, including extensive armed checkpoints across the city, for as long as necessary.”

The shooting incident was reported to gardaí shortly before 4pm on Wednesday, August 16. A silver Opel Zafira with 08 LS plates was found partially burnt out  a short distance from the scene. 

 Anyone who was in the Balbutcher Drive area that afternoon, between 3pm and 4pm, is asked to contact  Ballymun Garda Station on 01-6664400.


Read the digital editions of the Dublin People Northside East, Northside West & Southside here