Cookies on Dublin People website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Dublin People website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.
How does Dublin People use cookies?
Cookies enable us to identify your device, or you when you have logged in. We use cookies that are strictly necessary to enable you to move around the site or to provide certain basic features. We use cookies to enhance the functionality of the website by storing your preferences, for example. We also use cookies to help us to improve the performance of our website to provide you with a better user experience.
We dont sell the information collected by cookies, nor do we disclose the information to third parties, except where required by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies).
Hide Message
  • Northside East

Approval of €14 million disabled persons’ scheme

Wednesday, 11th July, 2018 1:00pm
Approval of €14 million disabled persons’ scheme

Minister for Disabilities Finian McGrath

Approval of €14 million disabled persons’ scheme

Minister for Disabilities Finian McGrath

A TOTAL of €14 million funding in respect of the Disabled Persons’ Grant Scheme has been announced. 

The scheme is demand-led and allows local authorities to prioritise works based on need. 

It provides funding for extensions and adaptations to existing social housing stock such as grab rails, disabled access ramps and wet rooms. It also provides extensions in cases of overcrowding. 

The scheme alleviates the need for elderly people and those with disabilities to be placed in high support accommodation and allows them to continue living in the comfort of their own homes. 

Exchequer funding meets 90 percent of the cost of the works, with the local authority providing the remaining 10 percent. 

The scheme also provides funding for Improvement Works in Lieu of Social Housing (IWIL’s) in order to improve or extend privately owned accommodation, where the applicant is already approved for social housing. 

This allows people to remain in private housing while their housing need is met without increasing the strain on current social housing stock and also reduces the numbers of persons who might otherwise find themselves homeless.

Speaking following the announcement, Minister for Disabilities Finian McGrath said: “I want to welcome the efforts being made by all local authorities to improve the quality of life for those with disabilities and those affected by over-crowding, and say that this will greatly improve the housing conditions for our older tenants and those living with disabilities and addresses issues of overcrowding in existing social housing stock. 

“Improvement works on private homes in lieu of social housing will also provide an alternative for those currently experiencing overcrowding in private accommodation. 

“It is our intention to liaise with local authorities to maximise the uptake of this important scheme.” 

Read the digital editions of the Dublin People Northside East, Northside West & Southside here