Cookies on Dublin People website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Dublin People website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.
How does Dublin People use cookies?
Cookies enable us to identify your device, or you when you have logged in. We use cookies that are strictly necessary to enable you to move around the site or to provide certain basic features. We use cookies to enhance the functionality of the website by storing your preferences, for example. We also use cookies to help us to improve the performance of our website to provide you with a better user experience.
We dont sell the information collected by cookies, nor do we disclose the information to third parties, except where required by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies).
Hide Message
  • Northside East

Judge submits his assessment of 'new' Stardust evidence

Wednesday, 18th October, 2017 3:06pm

Story by Tony McCullagh
Judge submits his assessment of 'new' Stardust evidence

An aerial vier of the aftermath of the Stardust fire

Judge submits his assessment of 'new' Stardust evidence

An aerial vier of the aftermath of the Stardust fire

View More Images

AN ASSESSMENT of a dossier of ‘new evidence’ into the cause of the 1981 Stardust disaster has been submitted to the Government by Judge Pat McCartan.

In a move that took the Stardust Victims’ Committee by surprise, Judge McCartan confirmed to their solicitor that he sent his review of the evidence to the Minister for Justice yesterday.

Antoinette Keegan, a spokesperson for the Stardust families, said they had not been expecting the judge to finalise his report until the end of this month and believed that they still had time to make further submissions.

The committee had sent in a final submission to Judge McCartan yesterday evening to highlight certain aspects of evidence they believe is crucial to the review, including a previously undocumented 999 call on the night of the disaster.

“While all these elements formed part of our original submission, we felt that we needed to re-emphasise the importance of a number of points,” Ms Keegan said. “We were hugely taken aback to learn today that the judge has already sent his assessment to the Minister for Justice.

“We sincerely hope that the matters we raised in our latest submission have been carefully considered by Judge McCartan. If not, we are asking that he recalls his report immediately.”

Judge McCartan had been asked to carry out a review of the Stardust Victims’ Committee’s evidence after a Government motion was passed on the issue in January of this year. His brief is to establish if there is sufficient scope for a Commission of Inquiry into the fire based on the evidence submitted by Stardust campaigners and their experts.

The interior of the Stardust after the fire.

Read the digital editions of the Dublin People Northside East, Northside West & Southside here