Cookies on Dublin People website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Dublin People website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.
How does Dublin People use cookies?
Cookies enable us to identify your device, or you when you have logged in. We use cookies that are strictly necessary to enable you to move around the site or to provide certain basic features. We use cookies to enhance the functionality of the website by storing your preferences, for example. We also use cookies to help us to improve the performance of our website to provide you with a better user experience.
We dont sell the information collected by cookies, nor do we disclose the information to third parties, except where required by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies).
Hide Message
  • Northside East

TD’s ‘shock’ over Beaumont back surgery waiting list

Friday, 22nd September, 2017 6:00pm
TD’s ‘shock’ over Beaumont back surgery waiting list
TD’s ‘shock’ over Beaumont back surgery waiting list

INDEPENDENT TD Tommy Broughan has expressed his shock at the number of people waiting for back surgery at Beaumont Hospital.

Last month, it was confirmed there were 476 patients on the waiting list for spinal surgery at Beaumont. The average wait time for a routine elective spinal procedure is 18 months.

Deputy Broughan welcomed the news that theatre expansion is currently being progressed at the hospital, scheduled for November/December, which will enable further elective treatment, including spinal surgery. However, he said he was disappointed by the large numbers on the list and the long waiting times.

Referring to RTÉ’s ‘Living on the List’ programme earlier this year, Deputy Broughan said: “It is ridiculous that we have to have a scandal rock the country before any real action is taken on an issue. In February, we were all disturbed to see the painful conditions that many of our citizens are living with while languishing on waiting lists but what has been done since? What improvements have been made and why must the Government always be reactive instead of proactive?”

He added: “I certainly hope that the Minister for Health will be bringing forward some innovative measures for his Department in Budget 2018 and I will be submitting my own recommendations on waiting list funding to the Minister for Finance and Public Expenditure and Reform.”  

Meanwhile, Sinn Féin TD for Dublin Bay North, Denise Mitchell, called for urgent action to tackle waiting lists at Beaumont Hospital after figures released for the month of August showed an increase of over 500 patients. 

Deputy Mitchell said: “The numbers are quite frankly shocking. In August, we saw national outpatient waiting lists increase by some 3,500, with more than 497,000 people awaiting outpatient treatment at the end of the month. 

“In Beaumont Hospital alone, we now have 26,263 waiting for treatment. Of these, 2,867 have been waiting more than 18 months. This simply cannot be allowed to continue.” 

 

Read the digital editions of the Dublin People Northside East, Northside West & Southside here