Over 120,000 music lovers could descend on Phoenix Park this summer if Dublin City Council gives the green light to a request to hold three outdoor concerts there.
Members of the public have until Friday, April 12, to have their say on the application, which was lodged on behalf of Festival Republic early last month.
If the event licence is approved, the first concert will take place on either July 9 or 11 with the two remaining concerts proposed for July 13 and 14.
The application states that the maximum attendance would be 40,000 people on each of the three nights.
A public consultation meeting to discuss the application was held last week where representatives from the Chapelizod Residents’ Association met with promoters MCD, Dublin City Council and the OPW (Office of Public Works).
A further meeting will be held this week on April 3 with residents from the Navan Road and Castleknock areas of the park.
However, Pat Allison of the Navan Road Community Council, feels that these public consultation meetings just pay “lip service” to local residents.
“It would appear that it’s a foregone conclusion and that we will be objecting to something that will go ahead regardless,” she told Northside People.
“We are really against these concerts which we regard as a misuse of our national park.
“The park and particularly the site where the concerts were held last year was left in a terrible mess with hoarding around it for months.
“During these events we see people going into the park night and day with bags of drink and it shouldn’t be up to us as local residents to have to look out for and put up with youths drinking and urinating in public, anti-social behaviour and a lack of public order.”
Local councillor Mary Fitzpatrick (FF), who is chairperson of the Dublin Central Joint Policing Committee, warned that there cannot be a repeat of the “mayhem” at last year’s controversial Swedish House Mafia gig which was marred by anti-social behaviour, violence and drunkenness.
“I agree in principle to the concerts under the right circumstances,” she told Northside People.
“Concerts bringing 120,000 people act as a real stimulus for the area.
“My view is that we have to ensure that there isn’t a repeat of the events of the Swedish House Mafia concert which undermined public order and public security.
“The mess that the park was left in after the concerts was also completely unacceptable.
“Adequate safety measures and a stricter approach to how these concerts are run and organised is vital.”
American rock band The Killers have already been announced for the Friday, July 13, concert date.
Mumford and Sons are set to play on the following day while the act for the third date for either July 9 or 11 has yet to be confirmed.
The licence application can be inspected at the offices of Dublin City Council on Wood Quay during office hours and also at the Phoenix Park Visitors’ Centre until April 12.