THIS local pet owner was left shocked and horrified after her cat was shot four times with an air-rifle.
Gardai have stepped in to investigate the serious nature of the horrific case of animal cruelty, which occurred recently in Baldoyle.
Five-year-old feline Netty is recovering after her owner Susannah Jackson felt a lump in her leg, which turned out to be one of four lead pellets that were lodged in her little body.
Fortunately, Susannah, who lives in James McCormac Gardens, wasted no time in getting Netty to the vet where she underwent surgery to remove the pellets, which were found in her leg and abdomen.
“It was shocking and so upsetting to realise she was shot in the leg but it was absolutely unbelievable to discover that there were three more pellets in her tummy,” Susannah told Northside People.
“After her operation the vet said she was shot at different times because of the condition of the scar tissue.
“It’s absolutely horrific to think that someone would shoot her once never mind four different times.”
The devastated pet owner was given the lead pellets, which she then passed on to the gardai when she lodged an official complaint.
“The gardai told me that lead pellets are used in air rifles and that there doesn’t seem to be any licensed rifles such as these in the immediate area, which raises even more concern that someone has this weapon and is using it in such a malicious and violent way,” Susannah explained.
“I was so distressed. I didn’t eat for two days and I couldn’t bring myself to talk about it,” she added.
“But then I just thought to myself ‘I’m not going to take this lying down – I’m going to do something about this’ so I made up a circular explaining what had happened and put them through the letterboxes of the houses around me.
“Some of my neighbours came to me to say they were absolutely appalled and that they had heard shots on the previous Saturday afternoon which would have been Saturday, August 11.”
Susannah is adamant that her cat would have died had she not discovered the pellet.
“There’s no doubt that she would have died from lead poisoning or that whoever was out to get her or perfect their shooting would take her out eventually,” she stated.
“It’s absolutely horrendous, utterly shocking that someone could be capable of such a vicious act of animal cruelty.
“I firmly believe it’s an adult as these weren’t the kind of bullets that would come from a child’s pop-gun.”
Netty is described as an adventurous cat but one who doesn’t stray too far from home.
She has been housebound ever since her operation and Susannah is now considering buying special fencing to restrict her cat’s movements to her own property.
While Netty is expected to be a full recovery the ongoing worry is that the culprit is still at large with a potentially lethal and presumably unlicensed weapon.
“These lead pellets are lethal and could easily seriously injure a child or even an adult,” Susannah pointed out.
“It really is very worrying.”
When contacted the gardai said they did not comment on individual cases that are under investigation.